A well balanced life is essential for personal effectiveness, peace of mind and living well.
The challenge is to balance what we must do with what we enjoy and choose to do.
Tips for living a well balanced life:
- Create an efficient mindset ~Be organized and plan ahead. Take time at the beginning of each week to assess what needs to be done. Make a to-do list in a planner or calendar for upcoming appointments, impending exams. or meetings to attend. Be sure also to allow for recreation and quality time for yourself and your family.
- Take care of and nurture yourself ~You cannot accomplish anything if you’re unhealthy. Get plenty of rest, exercise and eat properly. Many of us think we can burn the candle at both ends, eat junk food, get very little exercise, and still function adequately. You may be able to get away with this for a while when you’re young, however, at some point, this life style catchs up with the best of us. Burnout is a real possibility.
Ideally, set aside time each day for an activity that you enjoy, such as walking or allow yourself time to unwind after a hectic day by reading, meditating or taking a nice hot bath.
- Know what your priorities are ~Balance does not entail cramming in every activity possible. Examine your values and decide what’s important to you; then set your boundaries. Depending on what stage you’re at in life, your focus and energies will be different. Avoid becoming overwhelmed by juggling too many big projects in your life at once. Not knowing what you want and trying to do everything at once can be a recipe for disaster instead of the road to leading a well balanced life. As the saying goes, “do not bite off more than you can chew”.
- Expect the unexpected ~Rather than get stressed and upset, learn to roll with the punches when something over which you have no control happens. Sh*t happens.If you accept that anything can happen at any time, it’s less likely it throw you off your stride when it does.
- Maintain a positive mental attitude -Begin each day with the intention of making the best and most of it. It may not always go as planned, but it can go more smoothly if you put it in perspective.